Saturday, October 9, 2010

Inspiration From Without


Great design is rarely the result of divine inspiration. Designers draw their inspiration, not only from within themselves, but the world around them.


Alexander McQueen 2008
One common source of inspiration from without is nature. Many designers turn to nature for inspiration. For example, Alexander McQueen's collections are often inspired by birds (2008), butterflies (2011), and even armadillos (2010). His nature-inspired pieces have continually amazed fashion week crowds over the past years. McQueen is able to take inspiration from everyday objects like butterfly wings or seashells and turn it in to something amazing and unexpected.
Andy Goldsworthy
Another example is Andy Goldsworthy—an artist who uses nature as his inspiration and his medium. Goldworthy often works with only found tools and materials when he creates some of his ephemeral works consisting of leaves, petals, rocks, and twigs. His creations are often inspired by the environment in which he is working. For example, his sculptures and assemblages often mimic the flow of a river or the curve or a ram's horn.

Personally I like to turn to books to find inspiration from without. As a design student, I have many things to learn about design and design history. In my designs I often like to look back to the accomplished designers before me as well as contemporary designers to be inspired by their great works. Whenever I have a case of "designer's block," I like to browse through the latest issue of Print or Communication Arts to see what about those featured designs makes them successful. In addition to looking at modern designs, I like to turn to historical art and design and often find myself inspired by great designs throughout history. For this reason, I always like to keep a "design library" wherever I am working. I even brought some of my favorite selections with me to UC Davis.

Inspiration from without is an important part of the design process. No matter how talented the designer, it is nearly impossible to create constantly without drawing upon the world around them for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment